As a nationally recognised organisation that supports Black and minoritised women and girls to escape violence, we are dedicated to sharing our work as widely as possible. This includes raising awareness in the media.
Our Chief Executive, directors and service users have been involved in several radio station shows, TV interviews, news stories, books and blogs discussing issues around child sexual exploitation, domestic violence, forced marriage, and shame and honour. Below are some examples of Apna Haq in the media.
- Radio: Zlakha Ahmed regularly features on BBC Radio Sheffield.
- Article: Migrant survivors of abuse face deportation if they go to the police. Could a new law protect them? gal-dem. 1 April 2021.
- Radio: Health Show with Dr Parveen Ali. Zlakha Ahmed was interviewed about domestic violence. Link FM UK. 27 November 2020.
- Book: Finding a Voice – Asian Women in Britain by Amrit Wilson. Zlakha Ahmed contributed to a chapter titled “In conversation with Finding a Voice: 40 years on”.
- Blog: ‘Get over the shock, this is reality’: challenging racism and violence against women and girls in Rotherham. Institute of Race Relations. 3 October 2019.
- News: "I was raped as a child" - charity founder Zlakha Ahmed lifts lid on abuse ordeal. Rotherham Advertiser. 2 October 2019.
- Radio: Apna Haq was invited to discuss the Domestic Violence Bill and the fact that sexual violence prosecutions have decreased due to the CPS charting policy. BBC Radio Asian Show. 15 September 2019.
- Radio: Apna Haq was invited to speak on the BBC Three Counties Radio station about our work. 28 July 2019.
- Radio: Zlakha Ahmed took part in the Big Debate Show. BBC Radio Sheffield. July 2019.
- News: Asian rape victim highlights 'shame of hidden child abuse'. Zlakha Ahmed speaks out to highlight the issue of hidden sex abuse. BBC News Sheffield & South Yorkshire. 4 July 2019.
- Radio: Zlakha Ahmed took part in the Sunday Morning Breakfast Show to talk about the perceptions of Muslim women and the work of Apna Haq, challenging how Muslim women are imagined in popular culture and policy. BBC Radio Sheffield. June 2019.
- News: Anger as lack of funds forces shelters to shut down. Eastern Eye. 1 March 2019.
- News: Women of colour fleeing violence need help – not penalties for who they are. The Guardian. 4 January 2019.
- News: Rotherham: the silencing of Muslim voices. OpenDemocracy. 23 August 2018.
- News: Forced Marriage in South Yorkshire. Zlakha Ahmed is interviewed on video by Hallam FM News. 7 August 2018.
- News: Rotherham split over Sarah Champion’s Sun article about sex abuse. The Guardian. 19 August 2017.
- Radio: Zlakha Ahmed is interviewed after the release of BBC drama, Three Girls, alongside Nazir Afzal, former Chief Crown Prosecutor for NW England. BBC Radio 4. 21 May 2017.
- Radio: Promoting Apna Haq on the Sheffield Radio LinkFM Community Show. 6 March 2017.
- News: Cash boost allows ‘crucial’ Rotherham service to continue. The Star. 17 January 2017.
- Radio: ‘A Force for the Future?’ – what do you want from South Yorkshire Police and how can they restore public confidence? Hosted by BBC Radio Sheffield and the Star newspaper. 19 October 2016.
- News: Child sexual exploitation and abuse in BME communities. NE Women’s Network. 15 September 2016.
- News: Rotherham charity warns young people more at risk of forced marriage in summer break. Hallam FM. 25 July 2016.
- News: Government to ignore pleas to ringfence money for black, Asian and minority ethnic females who have suffered abuse. The Independent. 27 February 2016.
- News: New Year Honours list: Apna Haq founder appointed MBE. BBC News. 31 December 2015.
- Radio: Local People Recognised in New Year Honours List. Rother FM. 31 December 2015.
- News: 16 Days: cutting Black and minority ethnic women's organisations. Open Democracy. 1 December 2015.
- Radio: Domestic violence victim “beaten for not having a son”. BBC Radio 5 live. 26 November 2015.
- News: One Of The UK's Few Domestic Violence Centres For Ethnic Minority Women Could Close. Buzzfeed News. 22 September 2015.
- TV: Rotherham Abuse Charity Faces Closure. BBC Look North. 25 August 2015.
- News: Forced marriage: Asian victims being put at risk by closures of services set up to protect them. The Independent. 21 July 2015.
- News: Asian girls ‘also victims of sex grooming’ in Rotherham. BBC News. 28 October 2014.
- News: Rotherham: ‘It’s sad that it’s taken something so horrific to give voice to these girls’. The Guardian. 3 September 2014.
If you are a journalist looking for media enquiries with Apna Haq, please see our Contact us page for details for how to get in touch. We can provide comment on issues surrounding violence against women and girls from Black and minoritised communities.